Thursday, November 17, 2011

Seattle Day 6-7: A Pleasant Journey

It was the first morning at La Quinta which is a little bit far from the conventional center but they had breakfast. Though it was not too far to walk.

At the conference, I attended Checkpoint Optimization session and learned that whatever you would show on the screen, you had to be able to justify it clearly. The assumptions should be rationally clarified.

After that I went to a job fair. There were many national labs, universities, and industrial companies that came to recruit. Most of them had internships. Some of them also had post-doctoral positions. I had a great opportunity talking to Argonne NL, they were going to buy a huge cluster called BlueGene/P. Then they would need us soon.

Los Alamos NL was pretty interesting. I knew it when Clayton went there for an internship couple of years ago. Lawrence Livermore had a biggest booth there. They had many positions opened.

Some other NLs were also interesting, like NOAA, Lawrence Berkeley, etc. There were even a lab from Singapore and King Abdullah University from Saudi Arabia. They tried to present themselves a lot.

I spent a lot of time at the job fair. Unfortunately I did not bring my resume and business cards with me. I had not had intention to find a job at first but it turned out that I was pretty excited talking to those people (esp with a guy from Argonne).

Late afternoon, I went to Cray booth at the exhibition just to ask about OpenACC. A guy there pointed me to PGI which was the one that work a lot with the compiler. It was great talking to the people there.

In the evening, I was so exhausted but still stuck with Dr. Box to a party, just to have a free dinner. The food was just to fill my stomach, the music there was too loud. If I remember correctly they came from our neighbor, Texas.

Dr. Box and I did not wait for the raffle. We know that we had never been lucky this way. We went back to the hotel around 8 something.

The next morning, after breakfast at the hotel, I packed and tried very hard to stuff everything I had got from the conference into the bag. It turned out that I had to enlarge it a little bit.

Dr. Box gave me a ride to the airport and now I am waiting for the flight home.

No comments:

Post a Comment